Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah
Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah
عبدالله أحمد عبدالله
Senior al-Qaeda suspect
|Born||June 6, 1963|
|Known for||Being placed on the list of FBI Most Wanted Terrorists|
1998 United States embassy bombings
Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah (Arabic: عبدالله أحمد عبدالله; born June 6, 1963), also known as Abu Mohammed al-Masri, is an Egyptian high-ranking member of al-Qaeda. He is wanted by the United States for his alleged role in the 1998 American embassy bombings in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya. He has been described as al-Qaeda’s most experienced operational planner.
In 1992, he helped Saif al-Adel in providing intelligence and military training to those associated with al-Qaeda in Somalia and Sudan. It is sometimes claimed that his trainees were among the group who fought against the Americans during the Battle of Mogadishu in 1993.
According to a United States indictment issued for his alleged role in the 1998 United States embassy bombings, Abdullah is a member of the 'majlis al-shura' of al-Qaeda. It is alleged that between 1996 and 1998 he operated training camps in Afghanistan for al-Qaeda. Abdullah was responsible for forging a passport for Mohammed Saddiq Odeh so he could get from Pakistan to Afghanistan and meet Osama bin Laden before the 1998 United States embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.
Abdullah was one of the 22 original members, and is still a member, of the Federal Bureau of Investigation list of Most Wanted Terrorists. The State Department, through the Rewards for Justice Program, is offering up to US$10 million for information on his location.
Sometime later, he was detained in Iran and placed under arrest. An interrogation of former al-Qaeda spokesman Sulaiman Abu Ghaith confirmed that Abdullah was under house arrest in Iran. He was released by Iran in March 2015 alongside al-Qaeda leaders Saif al-Adel and Abu Khayr al-Masri.
- "Rewards for Justice - Wanted for Terrorism - Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah".
- "Copy of indictment - USA v. Usama bin Laden et al." (PDF). Center for Nonproliferation Studies, Monterey Institute of International Studies. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 November 2001.
- Wanted poster on AAA Archived 22 December 2016 at the Wayback Machine, Federal Bureau of Investigation, US Department of Justice
- United States v. Usama bin Laden, Transcript of Day 8
- John J. Lumpkin. "Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah". Global security. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Rewards for Justice - Increased Reward Offer for Information on al-Qaida Leaders Abdullah Ahmed Abdullah and Sayf al-Adl". U.S. Department of State.
- Wanted Poster on AAA Archived 26 November 2005 at the Wayback Machine, Rewards for Justice Program, US Department of State
- Washington Post, 29 October 2002, background on Abdullah and Saif al-Adel
- "Chapter 6. Foreign Terrorist Organizations". U.S. Department of State.
- "Hamza bin Laden married daughter of another al-Qaeda leader, not 9/11 hijacker". english.alarabiya.net.